2017 and 2018 were very big on interior design. Many new trends emerged and many old ones made a grand comeback. 2018 was mainly about greenery, adding earth elements such as terracotta, rose gold metals, brass and bronze, and patterns. Millennial pink and different shades of green and blue were everywhere.
With social media dominating more than ever before, interior design has a major opportunity to be in the spotlight and be admired and noticed by people from all walks of life.
Analyzing the past few years and how trends have been emerging and taking shape, I will share with you my forecast for home design trends of 2019.
Color Trends 2019
All major paint brands release at around this time their Color of the Year. Not sure why they can’t agree on one tone or color, each company chooses a totally different color than the other. Since it is doesn’t make sense to change you home decor every year, trends and color palettes carry on for several years at a time. Some trends start in certain countries before others and might take a couple of years to be accepted by new areas.
What I also noticed is that color trends differ from continent to another, Europe is considered a trendsetter in fashion and exquisite taste and I notice every year that the themes and color are nothing like the American trends. The whole perception of color is different. If you visit the annual Cologne furniture fair imm-cologne which is located in Germany, the furniture and color palette there is usually cold. Furniture is ultra modern, very German taste oriented. The total opposite is revealed at High Point market for example, a fair that takes place in North Carolina, USA bi-annually. At High Point Market, the epitome of American design and craftsmanship is on display, a lot of colors, prints, heavy wood, antiques, plush furniture etc.
Referring to current trends, I will list below the colors that will be in the 2019 forecast
* Deep Green : Green is popular again in all its forms, everyone wants a fresh looking interior, bringing the outdoor indoor. Deep green, or as PPG paint calls it: Night Witch, is versatile and works beautifully with other neutrals such as beige.
* Terracotta : Also inspired by nature, is an easy to style color. It’s very warm and inviting, it was a trend in 2018 and will continue to 2019.
*Aqua blue: One of my personal favourites. It was all over the place during Milan’s fair Salone Del Mobile. Luxury furniture brands such as Minotti and Fendi Casa introduced several tones of blue in their collections.
*Blush Pink : Millennial pink was a big hit in 2018, one of the world’s most famous interior designers India Mahdavi used it almost exclusively at a restaurant called Sketch in London. The interior design images of that restaurant became an internet sensation. This year pink will be toned down in interiors to a soft blush pink.
Metals in 2019
People are still not over metals that are not chrome or stainless steel. After stainless steel dominated for decades especially with modern designs being on the rise, the past few years brass made a comeback, rose gold, however, was considered the trendiest metal out there, both in fashion and interiors.
* Brass: was big in 2018 and still will be, most high end brands already are using it in most of their furniture pieces. Mirror frames, wall patterns, and even in flooring, brass will still be very present this year.
* Rose Gold colored metals: This color of metal wasn’t introduced until 2018, I remember Paul Mathieu introducing it in the tables and consoles he designed for Luxury Living. Minotti also used it in some of their tables. It is not an easy metal to deal with but we can’t deny it is the trendier choice.
* White Oak will continue to dominate the wood trends this year. I love White oak for how easy it is to style and how it matches most setups especially contemporary ones.
* Walnut in its natural color will continue to be big this year as well. It is not as versatile as white oak is, but is perfect in certain interiors and would go perfectly with the green shades that will be popular next year.
* Geometric prints will always be interesting. Almost everyone on a patterned floor wants to Instagram it, there are accounts just for floor patterns! I like the Chevron, it is so trendy and comforting. Patterns will remain in parquet flooring, ceramic tiles, and marble.
* Wallpaper with patterns will also be big. Bold patterns not necessarily in contrasting colors, I think 2 toned patterns are what will be the most popular.
* Fabric with patterns will be used in small quantities such as in armchairs and cushions.
Marble or Marble ‘Look’
* Marble has been the biggest hit for the past 3 years. Everyone loves marble, even people who have nothing to do with interior design. White marble was big this year, 2019 will witness more exotic colors and more grey tones.
* Ceramic or glass with marble digital print will continue to grow dramatically, this is due to the higher cost or regular marble and the flexibility and durability of ceramic and glass.
It All Boils Down To Personal Taste
No matter what the trends are, we all know that these changes are not because people are changing but because everything is moving so fast and industries need to survive. If the business owners don’t market change as a necessity more of them will shut down faster. We as designers also thrive on this shift in trends, it allows us to grow and maintain a steady business. But just as in fashion, you don’t HAVE to follow these trends, at the end of the day, your home is where you want to feel safe and relaxed, away from every day’s problems. Do what makes you happy, but a little space update never hurt anyone. Will you be applying any of the home design trends of 2019?