As long as I could remember, a good night’s sleep was something I rarely experienced. I never thought that the reason might be be the mattress itself, or the quality of my bedding, I always blamed my overthinking, over studying, etc..
Fast forward to a few years ago when I was in Paris, I stayed for a few nights at a Sofitel Hotel (Scribe), and had the best sleeping experience of my life!
I saw a brochure they placed in the room advertising the bed and the bedding as part of their online boutique. That’s when I told me husband we had to have the bed!
Good thing he agreed and our lives changed ever since. I have been getting good quality sleep and it is affecting my life in ways I couldn’t have imagined.
In this post I will share exactly how you can recreate this experience the Sofitel way, but if you are able to purchase the actual bed, then by all means I advise you to.
So let’s get started!
What you will need for perfect ‘Hotel’ style bed:
- 1 Featherbed
- 1 Featherbed Protector
- 1 Fitted Sheet
- 1 Duvet
- 1 Duvet Cover
- 4 Feather & Down Pillows
- 4 Pillow Protectors
- 4 Pillow covers /Shams
- Bed Skirt / Optional depending on bed type
- Step 1: Featherbed and featherbed protector.
- Above a good mattress I recommend having a featherbed and a featherbed protector. It’s usually filled with duck or goose feather, provides and extra layer of comfort on top of your mattress. The protector is to keep it clean and in tact, as it can be washed separately.
- Step 2: Fitted Sheet
- Make sure the size fits the mattress and the featherbed together, a small fitted sheet would be a pain to put and will slip off when you are sleeping. Try to stretch it out as much as possible so the elastic part goes under the mattress.
- Step 3: Duvet and Duvet cover
- Duvet could be duck down, goose down, or microfiber . You definitely want to have a cover to keep it clean, this way you only wash the cover. Put the duvet inside the cover, in the video below you will find the easiest way to do that.
Step 4: Pillows, Pillow protectors, & Pillow Covers or Shams
Pillows can be feather and down pillows, or microfiber, whatever you prefer. For protectors, try to steer away from the “plastic ” types that feel hard and make the pillows very uncomfortable. Nothing is worse for me than a stained pillow, the protector keeps it clean and free from moisture which usually accumulates in pillows because of breathing. A good tip is to put pillows in the DRYER for 10 minutes to fluff them up and disinfect them with the heat. Ofcourse above the protector, you will have the actual pillow cover. I prefer king size pillows, 4 in total.
Step 5: Bed Skirt: If you have the hotel type bed which is around 60cm in height, you will need a bed skirt to cover the bottom part (right under the mattress). I always prefer plain and modern types, not a fan of elaborate designs.
With these 5 steps you can recreate the luxurious hotel beds found at Sofitel, Four Seasons, and other luxury hotels.
Note: Remember for bedding, the higher the thread count the better, don’t go lower than 200, preferably 400.
You can add a nice runner at the lower part of the bed that would complement the extra cushions you might like to add on the bed. To me this is more than enough, I am not a fan of extra bed spreads, i hate the idea of removing them and finding a place to place them every night. Just use your duvet as your final layer and have a nice runner.
This type of layering will allow for a great sleeping experience, use this post as a complement to my previous post describing the best tips for designing a modern and comfortable bedroom.